Graduate Catalog
Policies, Procedures, Academic Programs
Graduate School Policies
Changes of Status

A change from one type of degree status to another, while remaining in the same major, requires a Change of  Degree Level Request form .  An example of a status change is: Master's to Ph.D. in the same major. International students in F1 or J1 status should consult with the international advisors in the Graduate School for the proper SEVIS changes. For departments where the non-thesis option is available, a master’s degree candidate is allowed to change status from the thesis to the non-thesis option (or vice versa) only once. The Thesis Option Change Request form  requires accompanying documentation from the department that verifies the appropriateness of the change of status.

A change from Commonwealth Campus or Non-degree status to Master's or Ph.D. requires an Application for Admission and submission of official transcripts (if these weren't previously submitted) and all other required application materials  (